Hotel Jansen accommodates students, graduates, academics, interns and young professionals from all over the world. In order to qualify for a room, you must be able to prove that you are studying in Amsterdam, have a position at an educational institution in Amsterdam or partake in a traineeship or internship with a company or institution in the Amsterdam area.
We offer 2 types of stay: Hotel and Long stay. Long stay guests can stay with us from one month to a maximum of 6 months. The move-in and move-out dates for Long Stay are fixed on the first and last day of the month. If you would like to arrive a few days early please contact our booking office and we will arrange for booking these extra nights, depending on availability. If you’re visiting for a short time, great! Just book a room for the days or weeks that you want to come. We offer Hotel guests accommodation for one night up to one month.
Hotel Jansen has 166 fully furnished and uniquely designed rooms of approximately 18m2 with a super comfortable bed, a pantry, a desk and an en suite bathroom. The rooms are divided over 6 floors and each floor is modeled after a neighborhood in Amsterdam, so you can discover the city from the comfort of your own home. Each Long Stay floor has a spacious communal area which functions as a living room and self-catering kitchen where you can cook, study and relax with fellow students.
The rooms for our Short Term guests are designed for single occupancy. Although the bed is just wide enough to accommodate two, it is not allowed to live in the room with more than one tenant (of course, sleepovers are allowed, but please inform our staff if you are entertaining overnight guests). The rooms for Hotel guests have a double bed and are therefore suited for couples, as long as one of you is qualified to stay at Hotel Jansen.
Almost everything you can think of is included in the price:
- a fully furnished, uniquely designed room with (amongst other great things) a comfortable 1.20 meter wide bed with a Hotel Jansen-quality mattress, fluffy duvet and pillow;
- a private, uniquely decorated en suite bathroom with a shower, toilet and all the other amenities you need;
- a wardrobe and adjacent pantry with your own fridge, coffee machine and water cooker;
- fast Wi-Fi throughout the entire hotel;
- use of the spacious and fully equipped communal areas which function as a living room and self-catering kitchen (Short Stay guests only);
- permanent welcome at restaurant Mama’s; the place to be for grabbing a bite and meeting up with friends or just hanging out in friendly surroundings;
- service charges;
- weekly cleaning of the communal areas and all public areas;
- fully equipped laundry facility (pay per use);
- daily cleaning of the Club Rooms;
- all the help you want from our friendly staff.
Tourist Tax (7% of the room rate ex VAT) is not included in the price. We assume that Hotel Jansen Long Stay guests will register or have registered at the municipal personal records database (Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie or GBA for short) in Amsterdam. Registration as a resident is mandatory if you are planning to stay in Amsterdam longer than 4 months (regardless whether you are staying with Hotel Jansen or elsewhere).
- A Hotel Contract can be cancelled at any time. If you found a replacement guest for the remaining period of the contract and the incoming guest has signed a Hotel Contract to confirm this, the only costs for cancellation are an administration fee of €300. Your deposit will be refunded as soon as we have received full payment of the deposit of the replacement guest. In case no replacement guest has been found or only for part of the remaining contract period, the cancellation costs will be 70% of the contracted and unpaid accommodation fee for (the part of) the remaining period for which no replacement guest has been found.
- If a reservation for only hotel accommodation is made for a one or more Individuals then the following applies to the Cancellation of this reservation.
- In case of Cancellation more than 1 month before the Commencement Date, the Customer is not obliged to pay any money to Hotel Establishment.
- In case of Cancellation between 1 month and 14 days before the Commencement Date, the Customer is obliged to pay 15% of the Reservation Value to the Hotel Establishment.
- In case of Cancellation between 7 days and 13 days before the Commencement Date, the Customer is obliged to pay 35% of the Reservation Value to the Hotel Establishment.
- In case of Cancellation between 3 days and 6 days before the Commencement Date, the Customer is obliged to pay 60% of the Reservation Value to the Hotel Establishment.
- In case of Cancellation less than 3 days before the Commencement Date, the Customer is obliged to pay 100% of the Reservation Value to the Hotel Establishment.
The move-in and move-out dates for Long Stay are fixed on the first and last day of the month. If you would like to arrive a few days early, please contact our booking office and we will arrange for booking these extra nights, depending on availability. The check-in time on the day of arrival is 3.00pm to 8.00pm on mondays to fridays and from 1.00pm to 5.00pm in the weekends. But you’re welcome to hang out at Mama’s if you’re running early. If possible, we’ll let you into your room as soon as it’s ready.
Since our rooms are fully furnished you will only need to bring your clothes, books, toiletries, kitchen stuff, laptop and any accessories to make your room feel more like home. And your fabulous self of course! You can buy a value Kitchen Pack at the Reception desk or add it to your booking in advance, so no need to waste perfectly good packing space on those items.
Yes, this is possible but depends on the length of stay. Registration as a resident is mandatory if you are planning to stay in Amsterdam longer than 4 months. For detailed information about registration with the municipality, please click here please click here.
Please make sure you bring your Hotel Jansen booking confirmation and your ID or passport, together with the document(s) that show that you are studying in Amsterdam, have a position at an educational institution in Amsterdam, or are partaking in a traineeship or internship with a company or institution in the Amsterdam area.
3 Staying at the hotel
Each floor is modeled after an Amsterdam neighborhood and each room is uniquely designed with different color schemes, design elements, accessories and artwork. The main furniture, existing of a bed, a desk and pantry are unique, artisan designs that are produced in limited editions. All rooms are approximately 18m2, including an en suite bathroom with all sanitary amenities. Each room is equipped with:
- a comfortable 1.20 meter wide bed (1.40 m for Hotel rooms), with large drawers
- a hotel quality, 20 cm thick 5-zone pocket spring mattress
- a water proof molton, duvet and pillow
- a unique desk and desk chair
- an additional wooden folding chair, mounted on the wall
- hand made bookshelves
- a wardrobe with 3 shelves, clothes rail and clothes hangers
- a pantry with a built-in bedside table, your own fridge, coffee machine and water cooker;
- Tarkett laminate flooring
- floor-to-ceiling blackout curtains
- lighting: ceiling light, pantry lamp, bedside lamp, desk lamp, standing lamp
- a minimum of two art pieces (a unique element, designed by an artist)
- a private, uniquely decorated en suite bathroom with shower, shower curtain, soap dish, toilet, toilet brush, toilet paper holder, sink, mirror and rubbish bin
- a smoke detector
- an electronic locking system with key card
- fast Wi-Fi.
Each Long Stay floor has a spacious Club Room which functions as a living room and self-catering kitchen where you can study, cook, relax and hang out with your fellow residents. You share the Club Room with about 25 other guests. Regular cleaning service and strict House Rules ensure that the communal areas are always clean and tidy. Each communal area is equipped with the following:
- 7 meter scaffolding-wood corner kitchen with concrete countertop;
- 2 sinks with mixer taps / 2 AEG induction stovetops with extractor fans;
- AEG built-in microwave-oven combo’s;
- 2 AEG fully integrated dishwashers;
- 2 large Siemens fridges;
- large custom designed kitchen table with 2 benches to fit 15-20 people;
- custom built scaffolding-wood lounge set with hand made pillows;
- custom built chairs and coffee table, made from oil drums;
- 28 lockers to provide for individual cupboard space;
- several pieces of unique art work, accessories and design elements;
- all necessary kitchen utensils;
- vacuum cleaner.
Restaurant Mama’s is the place to be for grabbing a bite and meeting up with friends or just hanging out in friendly surroundings. Mama’s is a hybrid of sorts: it is the entrance and heart of Hotel Jansen where we welcome our guests, where great food is served and where everybody knows your name. At Mama’s you always feel welcome; Mama’s is always cheerful and adjusts to your rhythm; we offer great breakfast, take away coffees and healthy lunches. We will even pack your meals to go if needed. Mama’s invites you for lazy lounging Sundays, a Swim-for-your-Supper event or for the Big Mama’s BBQ on a sunny afternoon in the courtyard. You’ll never get bored.
Hotel Jansen is your home, so you are allowed to have one guest staying over for the occasional night or two (if you get lucky, for example), but we would ask you to respect your fellow residents and let the accommodation staff know. And of course your friends are welcome for a drink, but we don’t want you to turn your room or the communal areas into party central. Instead, we would like you to take your guests to Mama’s. You can even throw a party there if you want. For special requests please send us an email. We’re open to anything that brings great people together and adds to the wonderful sense of community that we have going here at Hotel Jansen.
No. Actually not anywhere in the hotel. Or at Mama’s. Smoking is bad for your health and will prompt the fire alarm and all the hassle that comes with that.
Are you kidding? Each room is unique, with hand crafted furniture, accessories and art that is designed and produced by a collective of Dutch artists and carpenters, always in limited editions. So no, you can’t bring your own furniture. And we promise you won’t miss or need it. Of course you can bring stuff to personalize your room. On the wooden wall you can pin your interests.
Unfortunately, pets are not welcome to keep you company. We love animals, but since not everybody does and we don’t want to turn Hotel Jansen into a petting zoo, animals are not allowed.
At Hotel Jansen we have our Maintenance Man at hand for all things that need to be fixed in your room or the communal areas. Should you have a problem with anything in your room they will fix it as soon as possible. Maintenance issues can be reported via firstname.lastname@example.org. Repairs are free of charge, assuming normal and responsible use. Should this not be the case we will need to charge you for compensation of possible damages.
Yes, don’t worry. You will be online your entire stay. Fast Wi-Fi is available in the entire hotel and is included in the service charges. The Wi-Fi system is state-of-the art, has separate VLAN (whatever that is) on each floor and offers great stability. Please note that we use a fair use policy, for regular personal use.
We know it’s generally not a student’s favorite pastime to tidy and clean. You are however responsible for cleaning your own room. You can do it yourself or book a cleaning service. At a time interval of choice, a professional cleaner will clean both the room and the bathroom at a surcharge. The final cleaning of your room after check out will be done by us and will be added to your bill when you book a room with us*. *For our Hotel guests cleaning is included in the price.
Your Hotel Jansen key card provides you with access into the building and your room. Losing it can happen, but if you lose it you will need to pay €25 to replace it. If it happens after closing hours of the Reception, we can only let you in via our Security Guy. He will charge a ridiculous amount of €75 because he has to come from somewhere else to let you in. The moral of this story? Don’t lose your card.
Of course it is possible that you click better with the people on another floor than your own and you would like to move there. We can look at the possibilities and try to facilitate your request, but we cannot guarantee it. We charge you €50 administration costs and the room that you leave behind needs to be professionally cleaned by our house keeping department.
You can pick your own GP in the neighborhood. However, Hotel Jansen is connected to several GP’s. Ask at the Reception. You will be charged for a consult and any prescriptions, depending on your insurance.
All good things come to an end. Long Stay guests usually leave on the last day of the month by 10.00am. When moving out you have to leave your room in a clean and proper state. Our hotel staff will inspect your room for any defects a day before or the day of your departure. If any defects are found during the inspection you will have to pay for the repairs or replacement. Costs will be made known before the repair works are executed and will be deducted from your deposit. By the way, Hotel Jansen staff might have to enter your room for either maintenance or security reasons during your stay. Notice will always be given where and when possible.
4 Facilities at Hotel Jansen
At Hotel Jansen we do our best to make you live like kings and queens. Where possible we offer little extras in addition to all the standard perks to make a stay at Hotel Jansen even more comfortable and enjoyable. For example: Linen Packs, Kitchen Packs, room cleaning, et cetera. Most of our services can be added to your booking online. It there’s anything we haven’t thought of yet, let us know and we will add it. That’s how we roll.
We offer three kinds of services: Good, Cheap and Fast. But you can only pick two. Good & Cheap won’t be Fast. Cheap & Fast won’t be Good. Fast & Good won’t be Cheap. It’s up to you 🙂
Hotel Jansen has its own professional full-service Laundromat. It’s easy to book it online, and washing itself is self-explanatory and quick. Even the washing liquid is integrated in the machine. An ironing board and iron are also available in the laundry room. It is € 4,50 per wash and € 2,00 per use of the dryer.
We all know that it’s not your favorite pastime to clean and tidy your room. That’s why you can purchase a cleaning service for your room. At a time interval of choice (we offer weekly, fortnightly, monthly or just one-off options), a professional cleaner will clean both the room and the bathroom. Different rates apply, depending on the interval. Hotel Stay rooms will be cleaned every other day and is included in the price.
Our front desk will take care of your snail mail. In the Reception area we have A-Z mailboxes where you can find your mail. Please note that several people share one mailbox. Large packages will be kept at the Reception. Please show your ID when collecting.
We don’t have a secured bike parking, but we can advise you where to park your bike safely.
You can use all major credit cards, iDeal, PayPal or bank transfers to pay your deposit and monthly installments.
A reservation becomes final after payment of the accommodation fee for the first month, administration costs and a deposit as stated on the invoice. The deposit is €700. After you have booked a room and filled out your personal details online, our system will send you a link that will take you to your booking details and Terms & Conditions. This link will also allow you to make the initial payment. There is no deposit for Hotel bookings. Hotel bookings are bookings from 1 night up until 1 month. The total amount of the booking has to be paid in full before the reservation becomes final.
The deposit is a security payment for possible compensation of damages, unpaid hotel accommodation fees or other charges. In normal cases (no damages or unpaid charges) the deposit will be reimbursed in full within two weeks after the Hotel Contract is terminated.
It’s quite a job to keep everything running smoothly. Services we and/or other parties provide are called service charges. Examples of service charges are: water, electricity, heating, taxes, the contribution of the cleaning of public and communal areas, the caretaker, WI-FI, maintenance of the building, security et cetera. The service charge is approximately €150 per month and is included in the price.
During your booking we offer several payment options: you can either choose to pay the full amount (including the deposit) upfront or you can pay in monthly installments. After your booking, you will automatically receive an email with the invoice, including a link to online payments options or bank transfers. For your reservation to be confirmed, you need to pay the accommodation fee for the first month, possible extra’s, administration costs, and the and the deposit as stated on the invoice at the time of your booking. For the recurring payments during your stay, payments for the next month shall be done before the 20th of the preceding month. We will send you an invoice for the next month of your stay via email around the 15th of the preceding month.
Please contact your bank first and explain your problem. Maybe there’s a problem with the authorization? Or maybe this month another payment has already been done with the same card and therefore you might have reached your payment limit? If you still have problems after having contacted your bank, please call or email us and we will figure it out.
We have to warn you, we are strict when it comes to this. If your payment for the next month is not received by the 20th of the preceding month, we will send a notice via email stating that you must fulfill the payment within 5 days. We will charge you an additional €50 for collection costs. If payment is not received within 5 days from this first notice, we will give you a call and and send you an email requesting payment to be made within 48 hours. If then payment is still not received or not received in full, access to your room will be blocked automatically and we will cancel your Hotel Contract. In such case, the payment obligation for the agreed term will continue unabridged and will be subtracted from the deposit. We reserve the right to make the room available for another guest.